History

The H.J. Nugen Public Library was established in the mid-thirties through the generosity of the late H.J. Nugen, a member of one of the early families residing in New London.  A sum of money and the income from Mr. Nugen's  estate was left to provide a public library for the community.   The library was dedicated April 22, 1938 after a great deal of preliminary work in the remodeled National Bank building.

Thoughts of a new library building began in the mid-sixties because of the crowded conditions in the bank building with no room for new materials.  The current library building was built with a federal grant, funds from the Everett Ramey estate, and a town drive that raised the additional funds to complete the building project.  The new building was opened for business on January 31, 1972.